Around the world, people are working together to create a positive impact to save and protect our world from climate change. Greta Thunberg is leading a movement to motivate people to take action towards saving the planet. If you haven’t heard of the 16 year old climate activist Greta Thunberg, check out her Ted talk
As a B Corporation, and having a passion for our planet our team was inspired to take action and help the Amazon rainforest by donating 100% of the proceeds to the Amazon Conservation. On Sept 22nd 10 stylists and 4 salons worked together to cut hair for a purpose. Let Em Have It Salon, Salon Lucid, Speak Easy Hair Co and Locks Salon & Barbershop. We raised over $1000 collectively to The Amazon Conservation.
https://www.letemhaveitsalon.com/new-events If you weren’t able to attend you can still donate to our fundraiser
Why we should care about saving the Amazon from deforestation.
1) We need the rain forests to produce oxygen and clean the atmosphere to help us breathe. The Amazon absorbs carbon dioxide and releases the oxygen that we depend on for our survival. The absorption of this CO2 also helps to stabilize the Earth's climate. The Amazon helps reduce the effects of climate change, and currently 6000 acres every hour are disappearing.
2) Over a quarter of the medicines we use today come from the rainforests, imagine how many plants that haven’t been discovered could potentially cure diseases like Cancer, HIV that are getting destroyed every day!
3) 70% of the earths animals and plants live in the rainforest. There are potentially millions of animals and plant species that have yet to be discovered. 137 animals are exterminated every day, when the rainforest vanishes so does the eco system and animals also become extinct.
4. The rainforest helps to regulate the worlds water cycle. Trees play an important part in the water cycle, grounding the water in their roots and releasing it into the atmosphere. In the Amazon, more than half the water in the ecosystem is held within the plants. Without the plants, the climate may become dryer and growing food could become impossible for many. When forests are cut down, less moisture goes into the atmosphere and rainfall declines, sometimes leading to drought.
5. Most of our foods come out of the Amazon like , bananas , pineapples , nuts , coffee beans and many more. If deforestation continues at the current rate of 46-58 thousand square miles of forest each year—equivalent to 36 football fields every minute - then we could be in danger of cutting off a significant percentage of our food supply. - Globalcitizen.org
What can we do every day to help our planet
Become an activist in your purchases : Choose companies not just for their merchandise, choose them for what they support. Shopping with your values in mind can be a challenge when we live in a disposable world of convenience. It’s easier to purchase something from Amazon that practically have their own country with a click of a button then researching companies for what they value. It also can be more expensive to shop small, or to choose companies that give back and are more ethical. A tip is to start small and think of what you can’t live without and find companies that align with your values to purchase from. www.bcorporation.net and https://goodbusinesscolorado.org/ are great resources to start. Having awareness about the companies you support is a great way to make an impact.
Eat more plants and less meat: Today the Amazon burns as Brazilian agribusinesses and farmers clear forests for ranching operations and to grow livestock feed. The average American diet 200 lbs of beef per year, producing for that type of demand leads to dead zones where the soil is so degraded from generations of slash and burn farming, unsustainable land clearing, and chemical fertilizers that plant species can no longer grow. Eating less meat is a great way to help out our planet. Plus animals are super cute and we shouldn’t be eating them anyway!
Throw away less and recycle, reuse more: Think about the lifecycle of a product you’re purchasing, along with the company you’re purchasing from. When you are finished with that purchase how will you dispose it? Take a tour in your trash bin and see how much you throw away vs recycle, reusing or composting. You can start to replace some of the items that go to the landfill with options that have have less packaging. Bring reusable bags to the grocery stores, using a reusable water bottle instead of plastic one is a easy place to start. We’ve partnered to be a drop off facility for hard to recycle plastics like dry cleaner bags, zip lock bags, grocery bags etc. with https://www.thistlehillzerowaste.com . In addition, we offer refill programs on most of our shampoo and conditioners to help cut back on plastics, and perks for customers when they do recycle.
Donate to companies that plant trees: The https://www.amazonconservation.org/ has planted 275,000 trees, they work to protect biodiverse forests, and prevent fires. Through our fundraiser we were able to donate collectively $1035! On a monthly basis we donate to Tree Era to plant 500 trees per year.
When we do something small every day and work together to be the change you want to see in the world, incredible results happen.
Working as a team to lead with compassion and create a positive impact in our world is what we’re all about at Let Em Have It Salon. Thank you so much to everyone that came out and supported this amazing cause, and to all of our stylists that spent the day making a difference!